Bernie pic

Bernie pic
Bernie

Saturday 26 January 2013

The joy of publishing


A FUNNY thing happened – as it always does – on the way to publishing the paperback of my novel for Australia Day 2013.
All’s well that ends well: let’s get that out of the way.
Someone at Amazon decided that my novel Iraqi Icicle was part 1. It was declared Iraqi Icicle was part 1 of a series. I suspect that someone at Amazon decided it would help me sell my book if readers decided it was part of a series. But what of the readers who thought it was not the stand-alone novel that it is?
I never thought I would agree with anything philosopher Ayn Rand wrote but this was definitely a case of “I don’t want your help”.
The problem was mostly sorted by Australia Day, January 26. The link between the paperback and the eBook is yet to be re-established. The paperback sells for $14.99 so it emphasizes the value of the $4.99 eBook.  I have no doubt the link between the print and electronic versions will be soon sorted.
The responsive crew from Amazon sent me a list of electronic stores from which you can buy.
Canada is not on there, so I presume the Canadians mount their purchase from the US.
India and China are not on the list, so I am not sure what is happening there. Brazil and Japan also missed the cut for the list I was sent. All very confusing but I do not like to trouble the Amazonians with a heap of questions. I will find out what is going on, all in good time.
We in Australia are used to paying top dollar for our novels and I would imagine the shipping from Amazon US would be at least $10.
I am selling my copies in Oz for $25 with a 40% discount for local books shops, provided they pay cash up front. I have stated I am a commercial Luddite, but sale-and-return seems like a nightmare for me. Having to pick up unwanted copies is an “insult to injury” job. I am like that famous model; I won’t get out of bed for less than $9.99.
Below is the list of the electronic stores where you can but Iraqi Icicle for $14.99. Do it now; you know you wanna.

Here is a pic of the book. It is almost 380 pages long. Nothing more to say really.

This Aussie band is doing the theme song for the product launch.



No comments:

Post a Comment