Bernie pic

Bernie pic
Bernie

Tuesday 4 December 2018

Disabled respect the Word

Diversity Rules

                                           Now an audiobook 


I HAD the most enjoyable author talk ever today before technical-college students who were disabled or immigrants studying English as a Second Language (ESL).
The teacher who invited me said the 25 disabled students each had some measure of intellectual impairment while some had physical disabilities as well. But they seemed to follow what I was saying as I explained the differences between paperback, hardback, eBook and audiobook.
Collectively they were able to tell me the word ‘genre’ meant kind, noir meant black as in night, and ‘e’ as in eBook stood for electronic. They were able to explain to me fiction, non-fiction, and back story.
I received the usual question on how long it took to write a book. I explained about re-writing or self-editing a dozen times before passing it on to a professional editor if you could afford one.
I received an unusual question about what was my favourite book and I thought the questioner meant my favorite book I had read. But he meant the favorite I had written.
I had to think about it but I I answered truthfully my novel Iraqi Icicle. I then thought how some friends have said I should concentrate on “more serious” non-fiction.
I explained why there was a clown on the front cover of my novel. I asked how many students were afraid of clowns. As I suspected about a half-dozen hands went up. But they were outnumbered by the hands which went up for those finding clowns funny. In this way I was able to explain comedy noir.
An ESL student from Serbia asked me whether I found an idea for a book or the idea found me. I have never been asked that question before but it struck me as a brilliant one. I literally had to think on my feet and I replied I leaned towards the idea finding me.
I thought these ESL students might struggle with my novel as Iraqi Icicle is in part written in Australian-English as a Third Language (AETL), Still it does have a glossary and, if they listen to the audiobook, I think they will follow my drift and get a giggle or two.

I WAS enjoying a soy latte in the canteen when a couple of the students sat beside me. “It’s good that you write books for people,” one said.
That might have been the best compliment I have ever received and a compliment received on behalf of the tens of thousands of authors throughout the world who struggle to make writing pay. The bottom line is it is good we write books for people.
HERE is our song about quaint writing. I love this clip so much.
        Check out organ player John Evans making fun of the pre-recording. Pre-recorded or live, it is a two-minute minimalist rock gem.


No comments:

Post a Comment